Saturday, December 8, 2018

Your Fingers Taste Like Peaches



I don't know if you watch Atlanta or not, but you should. It's pretty brilliant- especially the second season. It makes me a tiny bit irrationally "home"sick for when I used to live there. References to Little Five Points, Decatur, DeKalb County, all of it.

It reminds me of my mentor CJ (I'll never forget the rides in her red Nissan truck) and all of the things I learned from her that stick with me to this day.  It reminds me of the Freaknik pirate radio station that introduced me to a song that is burned into my brain to this day.  It reminds me of babies doing the Bankhead Bounce and it reminds me of how fucking contagious that dance was. It reminds me of the woman that used to run the domestic violence support group who had done five years for killing her husband and how much I admired how she forked out the truth. It reminds me of Rhonda and how I wonder how she's doing now after cracking me up for so long while we dated. It reminds me of the earring of two intersecting women's symbols that I found of hers in my bed. (That lesbian symbol used to haunt the fuck out of me. Tattoos, earrings...you  name it. Like some Indigo Girls Poltergeist or some shit.) It reminds me of hot boiled peanuts and the afternoons Diane and I would be out in the shed sorting clothes and laughing until we couldn't breathe.  It reminds me that, no matter what it's like now, I always thought that MARTA was a pretty solid transportation system. But that, my friends, was coming from the Detroit metro area.

Here's a simple interaction between two characters from the show that touched me:


person one (sarcastically):  I love how you send all of your important mail to my house.

person two: Yeah. That's love. I trust you.

person one: (smiles and laughs)



be well; be loved,

k.

(image: Txema Yeste via hotparade tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment