Sunday, December 16, 2018

I Guess I Can't Hit it Now, Huh?, or, Love Like a Blood Pact



Dressed in business attire, yet wrapped in a blanket in a warm and windowless room. I am being fed miniature mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches, and handed cold brew with a splash of soy creamer to wash them down. I feel very supported in my endeavor which, today, is diving into this final final paper.

I am absolutely thrilled to be Christmas shopping for my little nephew this year. It is such a different feeling when we all live in the same town. It feels so good, and warm and growing. I love the little art projects that he makes me, and I am so happy that he loves the stuffed little hot dog dog that I had gotten him as an arrival present. I know everyone says that their family members are the most adorable, but come on guys.  He really is.

In other news, last Thursday - as if to validate again my decision to not interact with anything important that day - the building I am usually in received multiple emailed bomb threats and the entire building was evacuated. It was the same day that fist fights broke out.

But it was also the same day that followed me having done something brave in relation to the sexual assault I experienced eight years ago. It was also the day that a person who matters to me that I've known for years but haven't been in touch with reached out to me and said some things that were so exact and needed related to the assault. (She knew the person. They are not friends anymore.)

It's incredible what can happen when you choose to go deep.

(pause)

That's what I've got for today.

I'm super excited about this book that just arrived through interlibrary loan called Adventures in Shondaland: Identity Politics and the Power of Representation. It's a bunch of essays on various themes of all of Shonda Rhimes' shows and I am like a pig in mud. Especially because there is one essay on live tweeting and How to Get Away With Murder. I swear to God I would fucking die laughing with the commentary that would go on - especially from Feminista Jones and other people who are a part of Black Twitter - in particular when Nate-as-side-piece would be discussed lol. It would fucking kill me. It's so cool to see the hilarity of it in such a specific and academic book.

Okay, now I'm just stalling.  Back to work.  I'll leave you with this quote I saw recently that Niecy Nash had shared (although I'm not sure where it is originally from):

Accountability feels like an attack when you're not ready to acknowledge how your behavior harms others.


Fuck yes.

Come on in.

Let's do this.


be well, be loved,

k.

(title: first part is a line from PettyWap by Young M.A., second part by me)
(image: From season 2; episode 4 of Twin Peaks. Portrayal of the forced blood pact.)

No comments:

Post a Comment