Friday, December 21, 2018

The Movement of Motion; The Perpetuation of Joy

So close to reach but so hard to hold
the only chance you get is past your control

                                      --Rites of Spring (Drink Deep)

I.

What I love about T is that, no matter why or what art performance she contacts me about last minute having snagged two free tickets for us, I always know it's going to be good. She's just that good when it comes to art and theater. I'm endlessly glad that she approached me slightly tipsy at H's bar years ago to ask me what I was reading and then ended up running home to get me a copy of the play she had just finished reading. Kindred spirits like a motherfucker as it relates to art and the necessity for grime, limit-pushing and crass realism within performance. Tonight was no exception. I absolutely loved slipping out of City Hall to go see this thing with her. I felt like some kind of art fag batman of sorts. (Although, what else is new?)

There is nothing more beautiful than seeing a person tell their story in the pure love and light of who they are. The artist, tonight, radiated this. I learned a lot from it. There has been such a strong theme of people, unashamed, telling the truth and complexity of their lives. It palpably changes things.

The past two weeks has brought reminders of the impact a single person's actions and/or art can have in such beautiful and profound ways. It actually changes people's lives.

II.

Back at the very end of May I started meditating everyday. It's 206 days later. I know I've said this a thousand times over, but, it really does change you.

III.

I had a dream about you last night. It was only about a minute long, but it was so vivid.

It was nighttime.  I was closing the passenger side door of a black car for someone, the way a gentleman does. As the door shut, an orange-brown leaf circled in the wind and tried to slip into the car. The door shut on it, and half the leaf was sticking out of the bottom of the car door.

Somehow, I knew that the leaf was you.

I knelt down and said warmly to you, "Don't hurt yourself. I wish we would have had more time."



be well; be loved,

k.
(image: Wind Sculpture by Daniel Graffin)

No comments:

Post a Comment