Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Don't Say a Word: The Art of Attention to Detail


When we walked into the restaurant, there was a line almost out of the door to get food to go.

Without hesitating, he says "I'll wait in line for us." He turns and in one motion and both arms he scoops all of the plates and napkins and glasses off of an unbussed table, dumps them in a nearby bin, turns back around and pulls out a chair for me to sit down. I do.

These kind of gestures matter to me.

I  appreciate them.

I like it when someone can top and serve at the same time like that.

(Here I'm reminded of the first time I hung out with A, years ago, and some of my coffee spilled on the table. He had removed his hanky from his pocket, wiped up the mess in one broad stroke, and placed it back into his left back pocked before I had even registered that it had spilled.)

I find it to be impressive, complex, thoughtful and steady all at once. There is a momentary loyalty in it that I covet beyond what I can articulate in words.

I appreciate these invisible movements that are at once so entirely, and enjoyably, palpable.



be well; be loved,

k.

(image: Louise Bourgeois- Arch of Hysteria, 1993 via lecollecteur tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment