Thursday, September 13, 2018

A/Second/Hand


I.

I've always wanted to know what it would be like to go camping with you.  Not because I like camping. I fucking hate it, generally speaking. I spent most of my childhood outside and roaming around and being cold. No, I've always wanted to know because I bet you'd be good at it. I bet you'd be really organized with your camping gear, and know how to start a fire in some weirdly impressive way.

II.
Today was long but good. I worked a lot. Made a presentation to my department. Wrote a paper to get it out of the way (one down; one to go).  For that paper, I had to read a lot of academic journal articles having to do with social vs medical models of psychiatric care. The readings we had to go over for class had a lot of current research having to do with suicide.  It is a strange week to be diving so deeply into this topic. But you know how it is. The universe has a strange way of linking separation.

III.

I celebrated finishing the paper by skipping the early birthday party I am supposed to be at right now and, instead, heading home to put on sweatpants, eat a frozen pizza, and wash my face with warm water. My feet feel good being out of their shoes; my back feels good stretching the length of the bed. I'm listening to the dragging sound of the analog clock in my room and it reminds me that, with some things, it is just a matter of necessary time.



be well; be loved,

k.

(image: Erimo Cape, from The Solitude of Ravens, 1976, Masahisa Fukase)

No comments:

Post a Comment