Saturday, July 7, 2018

Running Your Fingers Over the Shape of Ideas

I've started reading The Glass Bead Game, finally.

Hermann Hesse reminds me of being 19 or 20. Reading Steppenwolf and broodily over-relating. (I won't front: I still over-relate to that book at times).  I recall reading Siddhartha, as well, but it not having as profound of an impact on me.  The Glass Bead Game, however.  I am curious where it will take me.  A closest friend of mine has made reference to it for years and, now that I'm reading it, I can see so much of him in it.  Pieces of it are lost on me (I am in love with music, but know so very, very little about the actual mechanics of it), but those parts don't impede me from being very engaged with it.

I have come to the part (still in the very beginning of the book) when contemplation is made to be a part of the Glass Bead Game in part to thwart savants with the ability to memorize from just regurgitating/reciting, and thus meditation is made a mandatory part of the game.

I'll have more to say about these themes and what the game is, soon, but not tonight.

Last night was late, with too many new characters, and my mind simply needs to settle.

To be still.




Until then, fight to be a good person that you respect and feel good about.


Be well; be loved,

k.

(image: Will Davidson photo of Kylie Minogue for Vogue Australia, 2014)
("fight to be a good person that you respect and feel good about" is a quote from a Jessica Lanyadoo post that resonated. I'm not sure if they are her words or someone else's, but there they are.)

No comments:

Post a Comment