Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Protect What You Must

Come here, she said. Let me tell you something:

I will miss you with a good portion of my heart.

I will miss the safety I felt in your hugs, and when I would wear your sweatpants to bed at night.  I will miss your laugh and the way that you drive (even though I hated it). I will not be able to listen to Lana del Rey and not think of you and of road trips. I will not be able to watch the television shows we watched together, nor listen to the radio shows we would listen to.  It was part of our ritual.

I will miss the smell of your various hair products, and the smell of your shampoo that was actually baby wash. I will miss the seriousness of your face when you are researching something- no matter if it is scientific, or pop culture.

I will miss the way you hold your guitar, and they way your fingers move when you play it.  I will miss the crooning slightness of your voice when you sing.

I will miss the pride you have in your body. I will miss the squareness of  your face when you are mad, stressed out, or trying to impress someone. I will miss the scent of your room and even the mysterious smells of your car.

I will not miss the glasses you ultimately decided upon: The other ones were infinitely more flattering on you.

I will miss your awkward stance when you are dressed up, and I will miss the jutting out of your jaw as you overcompensate for it.

I will miss the calmness and confidence that comes over you when you know you have done a good job: In your work, in your art, in your family.

And for now, that's all I can say.

She sat down, picked up a pen, and started writing.

be well; be loved.


k.
(photos: Lara Stone in Get Back! Stay Back! for V #76
Shot by Nick Knight
Styled by Carine Roitfeld via lelaid tumblr)


No comments:

Post a Comment