Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Their Laugh is Like a Story That is Older Than Us All

Holy fuck the air is so clean tonight.

My musical inclinations have been shifting with the weather. I'm craving something that I don't usually crave. Something a bit more rock. A bit more grit.

One of my favorite things to do is drive, at night, over this one particular bridge with a beautiful view of the water and the city with my windows rolled down and music blaring.  It's always a different song, and I always cue it to start the second my tires wheel upon the bridge.  Tonight it was Hoop and Swan. Try it. It's incredible.  It's also where I learned the word prole.

(pause)


There is nothing stronger than a broken woman who has rebuilt herself.  

and

What I would have done to have heard a story like mine.

-- H. Gadsby (read postscript, below)


Everything feels good right now. Right. It's the combination of telling the truth (it's the only way love can grow) and the first month of summer. Events lately have me thinking of friendship and drumbeats. I found myself thinking of this post from years ago. I think it describes where I'm from better than I could ever articulate now. The beginning and Andy. Not so much the Jeff part.

I love people's minds and hearts. I love thinking back to moments of hand holding and uncertainty. Of walking along train tracks and earnest conversations late at night.

I love the weird misfits and arguable outcasts that make up the people in my life. I love that the people in my life  will leave me messages like "Hey. I'm callin to wish you a happy birthday. I'm pretty sure it's the day before Ice Cube's and Tupac's is on Saturday. That's how I remember your birthday" or that conversations can go from how to resist what is going on in the world, currently, to conversations about super gay Tom Selleck swimming shorts.  Because of course they do.

Things feel right with reason. Who knows where things will go? It's summertime, the air is clear, and there is an invincible force that is culminating. Keep loving; keep fighting; keep your heart open and eyes clear.



be well; be loved,


k.

P.S. Watch Hannah Gadsby's standup Nanette on Netflix. It may start slow, but STICK WITH IT UNTIL THE VERY END. Holy shit. YES. YES. YEs and fuck shame. I'm not say this just because there's nothing like a masc presenting lesbian who has her shit together around sexism and misogyny (a slight swoon and mad applause here because this, unfortunately, is way way way too rare) let alone art history knowledge to boot. It's bigger/deeper than that. Connection. Emotion. Humanity. Fuck yes.
(title: Lyric from Hoop and Swan)
(image via lebonazze tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment