Friday, June 1, 2018

Necessary Feeding


This early evening, I went to go see a friend in a brief play of George Bernard Shaw's, How He Lied to Her Husband, and it kind of blew my mind. I'm sitting there thinking, how the fuck could someone born in 1846 and dead in 1950 get slivers of the angles and kinks of my relationships so perfectly?

I poked around a bit and found some quotes from Shaw that resonated and made me laugh specifically about this play. Evidently, in the preface of the play, Shaw describes it as "a sample of what can be done with even the most hackneyed stage framework by filling it in with an observed touch of actual humanity instead of with doctrinaire romanticism." (Emphasis mine). 

Equally as entertaining is what he says (and, here, I'm just pulling from Wikipedia), "Nothing in the theatre is staler than the situation of husband, wife and lover, or the fun of knockabout farce. I have taken both, and got an original play out of them, as anybody else can if only he will look about him for his material instead of plagiarizing Othello and the thousand plays that have proceeded on Othello's romantic assumptions and false point of honour."

In any case, it was enjoyable and, of course, my friend was incredible in it.

Conversations about theater and family and addiction and neurodiversity ensued, afterwards.

Anytime I hang out with her I find myself deeply grateful that we met when and how we did. She's a wise one with the knowledge of art and theater I crave. I could talk with her for hours.

(pause)

In other news, I went to go see a beautiful film out of Mexico recently called Los tigres no tienen miedo/Tigers are Not Afraid. I'll be thinking about it a lot.  If you get a chance, go see it. You can watch the English subtitled trailer here

There's more to say, here, but I need to get my ass to bed.


A last thought?

There is a place where innocence and fantasy are the only escape. 

Such places may not make quaint manners; but they will always cultivate fascinating minds.


be well; be loved,

k.


(image: Janis Ancens photographed by Giampaolo Sgura for the seventh issue of Candy zine  - via homotography dot blogspot dot com)
(last italicized sentence is from the beginning of the trailer that is linked)

No comments:

Post a Comment