Saturday, April 28, 2018

What I've Got: A Lullabye and an Anthem


*What I've got is the beauty of friends who will come over with a pizza post-show because they know I could use some laughter.

*What I've got are friends who write who inspire me and who do things as brave as read their writing at a house show AND RECORD IT FOR ME SO I CAN HEAR IT. (I'm looking at you, A.)

*What I've got is yet another day of feeling *fucking so good*. [Yesterday I went to a job that I go to once every month and a half or so.  There is kind of a physical memory of how, at the end of the day at this job, I would feel so terrible that I wouldn't be sure if I could drive home.  And yesterday? I was at the end of my day being like: Bring it! and daydreaming about the avocado roll that was in my bag that I couldn't wait to devour.]

*What I've got is the fact that I can't read this Ray Bradbury story (Somewhere a Band is Playing) without losing my shit about some of the words he writes.  For example, one character asks another how he guessed that he was a writer.  The guesser replies by saying:

"Your tongue improves your words on their way out. Keep talking."

(insert muffled sound of a big sack of flour falling to the ground, here, as I pass out.)

*What I've got is the fact that I get to go to a new brunch place with a fabulous person I miss on Sunday morning.

*What I've got is that I'm both happy and have an odd weight in my heart from an interaction today. I didn't realize that those things were able to coexist, exactly.  Overall, however, I feel joy in my heart and a knowing clarity.

*What I've got is the promise of what will happen when I wake up tomorrow morning (or later today as the case may be).

Things are good, warm, well tended to, and hopeful.

Off to bed with me.

Tonight I'm going to leave you with these words not written by me:

Goodnight my love
Remember me as you fall to sleep
Fill your pockets with the dust and the memories
rises from the shoes on my feet
I won't be back here
Though we may meet again
I know it's dark outside
Don't be afraid
Every time I ever cried for fear
It was just a mistake that I made
Wash yourself in your tears
And build your church
On the strength of your faith
Please
Listen to me
Don't let go
Don't let this desperate moonlight leave me
With your empty pillow
Promise me the sun will rise again
I too am tired now
Embracing thoughts of tonight's dreamless sleep
My head is empty
My toes are warm
I am safe from harm



be well; be loved,
k.
(words, above, by Slint. From Washer.)
(image taken by me of a pigeon that kept looking out every once and again while Lani and I hung out on the patio of a local bear bar)

No comments:

Post a Comment