Saturday, April 21, 2018

Missing Uniform: The Salt on Your Lips

I.

One of the things I love about traveling is the feeling of suspension. Everything back home is a baseball tossed towards an evening sky and then frozen, mid-air, until you are back within a ten mile radius of home.

I currently find myself on white, clean, flannel sheets with a down comforter wrapped around me.  I have been reading, writing, and enjoying the company around me.  There is a creative streak in my blood, and I can feel its boil: 

I welcome it.

II.

This afternoon, I was thinking about Ray Bradbury again.  Thinking about how almost every time I hear or read his words, I feel like weeping.  It is not because the story is sad.  They don't tend to be.  Nostalgic, perhaps, but not sad. It's just that his use of language - his way of describing things - brings me quite literally to my knees. His brain, his words, his ability to imagine. I've never read much of his alien and futuristic stuff.  I've kept mostly to that of his that has rooted the supernatural and glorious in the mundane (Something Wicked This Way Comes), the product of which is a sublime beauty I can barely look directly at. Dandelion Wine is another branch of this that creates a nostalgia drenched in golden light for something I have never seen.

Incredible.


III.

There is magic in the air, tonight. I'm not sure how to explain or articulate it, but it is certainly there. It is not a hint so much as it is a dense syrup around our shoulders tonight. It is nice to be in the company of whatever it is that is in the air.

IV.

There is something to be said about leaning into what feels right.  Leaning into what feels true.  Even when you are unsure.  I have been doing that. The doors that it has been opening have been gilded with gorgeous stories and glorious people. 

I look forward to seeing where else this weird river will lead. 


Perhaps I will see you there.








Be well; be loved; follow exactly what your gut says to you.



k.

P.S I'm going to send you a dream tonight.  The colors will be red and blue and will involve the shape of hands.


***

Today I have been listening to this Kate Bush song covered by Chromatics .
But, of course, the original is better. If anything because of the depth of voice and this video.
(image via anotheratona tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment