Tuesday, April 24, 2018

And You, What Would You Do For Love?

Today has been incredible. Exhausting, yes, but in the best of ways.

The day started around 5am and didn't end until around 7.

Here's the thing with interpreting:  There are some days there isn't much to do. You may get to a job that is booked for five hours and there is maybe twenty minutes worth of interpreting that happens.

But then there are days like today where there are multiple Deaf people, hearing people, Deaf-blind people and Certified Deaf Interpreters.  As an interpreter, your eyes, ears and brain are on every scrap of the room and sound for 9 hours. You have to think visually, auditorily, spatially...you become obsessed with sight lines. (Where can you stand where every person scattered about the room can see you?) You have to be ready to copy what someone is signing so that people in the back of the room can see it. There is no "off" time unless you count being in the bathroom or the one handed wolfing of food that you do.

It felt good.

I love working with the teams who take these jobs.  They are usually the more skilled interpreters.  I love the inherent need for everyone on the team to be flexible and communicate in a quick and efficient way. I love the lessons. I love the humor. I love the humility. I love the support. I love the professionalism.  I love the boundaries.  I love the ethical considerations.

As an added bonus, when leaving to make the trek home, a man's car battery had died.  I got to bust out my little car emergency kit I have in my trunk and give him a jump. I won't even pretend: I felt totally cool being able to help out. I have been waiting for a reason to use it.

I just took a bath with a bath bomb that a friend gave me a few days ago.  Something citrus-y but with lavender petals in it. It turned the water bright yellow with the flowers floating all around me while I soaked.

One of my favorite things when I take a bath is to bring a tall glass of ice water with ginger in it into the bathroom with me.

I love the juxtaposition of the temperature.

Watching the steam rise all around me while ice cubes hit my lips as I drink. The cold of the water down my throat with the heat of the bathwater on my chest.





I'm home now. 

Exhausted but content.

Sleepy but happy.



k.
(image: Hachiro Kanno via topcat77 tumblr)

As per usual, I'm completely into the photography of Joshua Kissi (Street Etiquette).  If you haven't followed him or Street Etiquette or even TONL (a company aimed to diversify stock photography), you should check it out. His photography is phenomenal. Here's his IG handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment