Friday, January 9, 2015

The Indulgence of Royalty

Eating ripe pears in bed after a tub full of steaming water and lavender oil.  My body is still warm, legs shaved and lotion'ed, in fresh sheets. There is a tall glass of ice water on my nightstand, and the taste of this pear is incredible.  Hot, smooth skin; cold, clear water; and the feeling of puncture each time I bite into this pear that is slightly cooler than room temperature.  (It is a Bosc pear.  That brownish red kind. It's my favorite.) I am calm, contemplative, and mentally clear: A perfect ending to a long, but enjoyable day.

(pause)

I love Michelle Visage.

I am not one for television shows, much less reality television, but there are a few exceptions.  One of them, as is no shock or surprise to anyone who knows me, is RuPaul's Drag race.  It's through this show that I was introduced to Michelle Visage.  And, by virtue of this, and of my love for her, I will be watching a show entitled Celebrity Big Brother this season because she will be on it.  [I had never even heard of this show before.  She'll be on the British version. CBB take celebrities and has them live in a house together for one month without any contact to the outside world.  Frankly, Michelle and Perez Hilton are the only people who interest me of the crew.]


Let me tell you why I love Michelle Visage.

She is honest and will tell the truth no matter if you want to hear it or not, and it always comes from a place of love.  She loves the shit out of the gays/queers/fags/freaks/weirdos/trans-explosions of the world. I will stop gushing, but really, I won't.  I admire where and how she exists in the queer community, and I love that she is a femme who is sincere and kind to femmes of all kinds. She is a bad ass. She's from New Jersey. She won a Madonna look alike contest when she was 16.

And yes, when you watch the interview with her, below, you will see deeper glimpses of why I over-relate to her, attitude and outlook wise. 

You can see a recent interview with her about being on the show, here.

So, while I will be continuing to nerd it up as per usual over here with studies and acts and creations and buildings in the next season,  I will also be indulging in some good, old fashioned, online Visage cheering.

What can I say?

 She's the kind of diva I can get behind.



Be well; be loved-

k.

P.S. I'm just finishing Mia McKenzie's Black Girl Dangerous: On Race, Queerness, Class and Gender. I've followed the blog for a long time and was excited to finally get a copy of the book. The libraries around me either don't have it or, in the case of the university, the one copy was on loan to a college in another state. It is worth the read- accessible and stated as being written to be accessible to a wider audience than just people in academia. If you can't find a copy, you can order one online. Either way, check out the blog by the same name if you have yet to do so.

(photo: The Glass Slippers, from Polaroids and Thoughts Tumblr.  There is some incredible work on that Tumblr- check it out)

No comments:

Post a Comment