Wednesday, August 19, 2020

The Difference Between Those Who Smirk When Criticized, and Those Who Pout



Today has felt slightly drugged and overly air conditioned. I've had a hard time keeping my eyes open, no matter the constant stream of caffeine that has been jogging its way through my veins.

One trait of lawyers working within their realm that I have noticed is that, if you ask them a question they don't know the answer to, they will say that. "I don't know the answer to that question. I will have to research that and get back to you." A certain percentage of everyday people, on the other hand, will try and bullshit. Well, you know I think that...blah blah blah...I seem to remember reading somewhere...blah blah blah...when, really: They don't definitively know the answer.

Don't get me wrong, here. I absolutely love a bullshitter in the right context. It is a sport, it is a skill, it is an art form.

But there is also something incredibly thrilling in someone saying quickly, clearly and without an ounce of shame that they do not know the answer to a question.

As it should be. 

(pause)

The other day I found myself daydreaming while laying on an unfamiliar lawn.

A few yards away, I saw a crow feasting on some unknown material in the middle of the road. When a car would come driving toward the crow, the crow would wait until the last minute to give up its feast and levitate into the air. Once the car had passed, it would land its click clack claws back down upon the pavement.

I tried to imagine deciding to live my life like a crow: Deciding to lunch in the middle of the road, a full feast spread before me and a bratty reluctance to protect myself from anything that may come barreling my way.


be well; be loved,

k.

(image: Robert Frank)

No comments:

Post a Comment