Saturday, May 26, 2018

The Beauty of Necessary Anger: Ode to and in Celebration of the Confidence of the Stripped


Holy crap, today was amazing. My mind is kind of reeling and my body has just gotten itself into my own bed. (Shout out to my razors that have left my legs still super smooth from my shave this morning. I'm into it.  It's spring-cusp-of-summer and I'm all about getting into bed with just a t-shirt and panties because fuck *yes* to cool sheets on legs.)

Let me back up.

Sometimes, things don't go as they are supposed to.  When that happens - when something or someone falls through-  it becomes even more important to be as present as possible to enjoy every sight, sound, smell, taste, conversation, idea and people you're involved with.

First of all, I just want to pause and be  grateful and blown away that I have the job I have.  Today I spent five hours with some of the most intelligent, creative and fag-history-holding people  I could ever imagine being in a room with. Although I am not at liberty to talk about it, I at least just have to say that each of these five hours I caught myself watching people around me and being in total awe that my job lead me to be in the room I was in, making connections with the people I was talking with, and seeing the things I was seeing.   I found myself thinking again to thank my teenager self who decided to just aim to learn and do what brought me joy and hope it paid the bills. I just would never have imagined. Everything from the content to the directions from my team on how to get into the building (nothing short of pulling a brick out of a particular wall of an abandoned building) to even me going to pick up my bag and seeing that someone had left one of my favorite candy bars on top of it: An anonymous wink of attention/love.

Second of all, on the days that things don't go as they're supposed to, I meet any temporary disappointment with Prime Time Witch Boarding and it always pays off.

What is PTWB, you ask?  It has nothing to do with watching episodes of Charmed or Bewitched or any other television program (boring) - it has everything to do with leaning into adventure.  In short, I just make a mini-pact with myself to lean into adventure that is offered and to take it up, no questions asked because, almost guaranteed, it will lead me to exactly what and whom I need. It's my favorite part of life.

It's what lead me to be speeding to get to an untouched destination via transit with less than 60 minutes to get there after TaigĂ© (a person I met a few years ago under pretty bad ass and magical circumstances) mentioned something in passing.  I contacted another friend and they, too, agreed to speed to meet me there also with less than 60 minutes to get there.  The three of us, separately, arrived with 7, 7 and 4 minutes to spare, respectively.  Where we were and what we witnessed was nothing we could foresee.  When we left just over an hour later, we were screaming in the streets (literally) and one of us said, point blank: I will be thinking about tonight for months and years to come. And we all agreed.

Sometimes you see something  that changes everything.  A bright light or a burst of sound that exorcises the exact demon you need it to. It's beyond catharsis. Beyond healing.

Suffice it to say:

Fuck YES to the artists of the world. To the people who aren't afraid to love and hate passionately and publicly. Fuck YES to abstract thought.  Fuck YES to those unafraid to own their own beauty and intelligence. (There is no such thing as "just a researcher". There is no such thing as "just a poem".)  Fuck YES to calling rapists out. Fuck YES to being unashamed.

FUCK YES to people confident enough to be humble and humble enough to be loud.

Share. Share. Share and fucking SHARE. Share yourself. Share your mind. Share your heart. Share your ideas. Because you have no idea who it will ignite.

BRING IT.

Let my body burn.



k.

(image: Christopher Makos, Debbie Harry, 1977)

No comments:

Post a Comment