Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Wax and Slide of Lipstick

Today is a day of study.  Thick, wool charcoal thigh- highs and an equally thick black wool pencil skirt.  Bright yellow heels. One of my favorite things is the peek of leg that flashes from the slit in the back of my skirt as I walk.  So perfect for the library, although I do have to pause sometimes in the stacks to tug them up: I ran out of the house without a garter belt to keep them up easily.  They aren't too slippery, though.  Thick, tight wool tends to cling in the good way.

All in all, things feel good this morning: I keep warm and bundled all while still flagging femme librarian with a slash of pink lipstick and neatly brushed hair.

(pause)

I've been reading quite a bit about sexualities I hadn't been aware of before thanks to a blogger and person on Twitter that writes a ton of essays and articles I've been enjoying as of late who identifies as ace.  People who identify as "ace" (asexual) and various types of identities within that. One general resource can be found here, but what has been interesting me the most are the identities that fall under the ace umbrella, which includes experiences such as gray asexuality, demisexuality, etc. Check out the glossary section of that last site. (Lithromantics, for example, are people who experience sexual attraction, but do not desire for the attraction to be reciprocated.) 

I've been seeing these terms and expressions of experience more and more lately.  It's a good idea to be aware of them as it impacts everything from health care to casual conversation and is just important information to be aware of, respect and assumption-wise.  I have to say that in reading the information, it really has made me think about my own sexuality and the sexuality of people in my life. It's made me think more about the distinction between sexuality, attraction that is not sexual, concepts of the "romantic" in general.  As a general statement, I always think it's good to get more complex about experiences, instead of getting more simple, no matter what is being discussed or framed.  It encompasses more people, shows more respect, and actually ends up assisting us in learning more about ourselves and our world. 

(pause)

With that, I am off to get things done and to become undone.

Be well; be loved; be ready to do what is necessary.

k.
(Photo: Jourdan Dunn photographed by Alasdair McLellan, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment