Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cobblestone and Upward Steps

My friend Tony and I are proud chickens when it comes to scary movies. Our thing, over the years, has become picking the scariest, and usually cheesiest, film that is playing in theaters, and to go see it in the middle of the day.  Today we went to see the movie Ouija.  There was no one else in the theater at first.  Later a long haired stranger sat a number of rows behind us.  Needless to say during the film we both shrieked, I used my "waffle hand" technique in which I watch the movie from behind latticed fingers, and Tony strategically, yet stoically, closed his eyes at the unbearable parts. Our comic relief to each other, which never gets old, is to, during the scenes where you know someone is lurking but haven't seen them yet, put our fists in the air as if we are gripping an invisible steering wheel, pretend start the car, and "drive off".   As it was Ouija, there was also periodic miming of chucking the spirit board out the imaginary fucking window.

In any case a great time,  as usual.  He's someone I learn a lot from- especially about film and sci-fi, which I don't know very much about.

(pause)

I didn't know that Bram Stoker wrote short stories. I've been curious about Stoker ever since I read that Junot Diaz uses Dracula in his classes.  Fascinating. I've never read the book, but aim to, now.  This afternoon, in a break to clear my head in order to be able to do my homework, I listened to Bram Stoker's The Judge's House as I cleaned my room.  It's a pretty solid story that seems to have a liking of the adjective "baleful".  All of it is online to listen to,  here.  It's not too long and although the guy who narrates it has kind of an over-the-top creep-oid voice,  I still recommend it.  Give it a listen. 

That's what I've got, for now.  Keeping my eyes on the prize and heart lifted.  The days of ghosts are upon us, and it is only a matter of days before their fingers are upon my shoulders. Memories and loves and vapors, abound.



Be well; be loved~

k.

(image: The Distance by Cornelia Parker via blackleather tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment