Tuesday, June 1, 2021

The Reason Feral Cats Trust Me, or, The Stir Inside One's Memory


This morning I woke up and walked to the wide mirror that hangs in my bedroom and drew three large hearts across it in black Sharpie. 

[Thank you to A. for that trick:  It used to freak me out when you would write messages to me on our bathroom mirror. Even though I had seen how you erased it a million times, I was convinced I wouldn't have the same ability.  I am grateful that I took the leap and realized that I have the same magic.]

It is the beginning of my favorite month. My mind is occupied by muses: past and present. How many paintings and codes and poems were written. How many countries have I been in (and not been in) as they were passed.  

This month always quickens my heart and blurs my timelines.

If I love you, I will take the most gorgeous photograph of you that you've ever seen. 

Because I know how to look at you. 

Even when you don't know what to do with your hands, and are looking down at the table.

*

Charlamange tha God was in my dream last night, and I wanted you to read his book.  I'm not sure which one, though.  Probably both of them.  His particular type of wisdom and brattiness is the exact kind that brings me both inspiration and joy. Humility. A yearn toward perseverance. A promise of integrity, even though it may be thrown out the window from time to time. If you need something to read, seek both of his books out. (I'm not including the We've Got Answers compilation, although that was good as well.) But do yourself the favor and listen to him read it.

*

Lately, I have been working in more contexts where there are at least five languages going on at the same time. I find so much comfort in them. In these environments, more people (percentage-wise) are so patient, so open, so accommodating, and so honoring of difference and needs. 

It's the contexts that only have two languages where people are impatient dicks.  

Although, let me be clear and make no mistake:  

It is the English-speaking people that are the demanding, clock-watching, entitled assholes. 


 

 

be well; be loved,

 

k.

(Image by: Alex Russell Flint, Olivia sitting)

No comments:

Post a Comment