Friday, February 1, 2019

Conjure, and, The Gutter of Your Pages

This seahorse gets Hedwig.
What's killing me is that it is less than one week from that last post re: Hedwig and, between then and now,  while out of town for work, I met this random queer woman who teaches and produces theatre.  We exchanged numbers and chatted a bit through text as I was trying to get a feel for where she lands on the theatre spectrum. (I'm always going to be political theatre over musical fluff, but recognize 100% the glorious overlap that can and does happen...) We chatted Brecht (YESSSS) and Sondheim (she knows all of him, I only know the obvious three...) and, unrelated,  how Emma Goldman shows up as a character in a lot of plays.

Before I fell asleep, I sent her that same link I posted and said:  

No matter what your feelings are on musical movies and musical musicals, the complexity of this moment and this version of the song will always get to me.

When I woke up, I saw she had responded:

Oh honey. Makes me cry every time I hear it. Saw it on Broadway. Changed my life. This song...oh my heart. (heart and broken heart emoji)

Fuck yes.

It looks like I have a new and beautiful and bad ass friend in my life.  I'm so grateful for how the universe looks out for me and just drops these theatre geniuses into my life (this is not the first nor the last time this will happen- Hi Taigé, David, Sadie, etc... out of nowhere.)  It is deeply appreciated, and I can't even begin to explain how much it matters.

(pause)

In other, unrelated news:

Bibliomancy and the tattoos on the fingers of the woman who told me she has been curious about me for years.

Both make me blush with superstition and knowing.


be well; be loved,

k.

P.S. What's written as the caption in this post by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez about fear is pretty fucking bomb. You can read it here.  Fear leads us into courage. Sometimes it's not telling us to retreat, it's telling us to leap.  Let's do this.

(image: A seahorse. Look into the connection between seahorses and the trans community and/or why parts of the trans community use a lot of seahorse imagery and you'll totally get why this seahorse gets Hedwig.)

No comments:

Post a Comment