Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Mistaking a Streetlamp for the Moon ("Somewhere, Sometime"*)

Getting back on track towards what I love and to love, itself:   Waking up excited about the day and curious about both the weather, and the words printed on the pages within the books upon the shelves one of my favorite libraries on campus.  Last night was learning together with thirty-some other people stuffed into a classroom with eager questions and slightly shocking answers.

Things have been good lately.

I've been smiling like some person who is just re-learning how to smile.  Over the past few months, I've forgotten how easily I laugh- and how much I love to.  Even last night, when I stopped for some late night pizza in the University area of town and found out too late that someone had loosened the top of the crushed pepper shaker, I had to laugh.  A red, beaded mountain of heat atop my little slice of pizza, and all I could think was, "Man, they got me.  This shit is funny."

(pause)

[Here's what I can say:  I know we live in a Capitalist system.  Still, you can't try and cage or own your partners.  Jealousy and insecurity and bad childhoods are no excuse for trying to control another person or their actions. Saying horrible things to someone else because you feel horrible about yourself only goes so far as even the flimsiest of excuses.  A beautiful heart and a brain of brilliance still has a responsibility to manage what they say with their misdirected fire as best they can.  And sometimes when they do, it's still not enough: May those who love you lift you up.  You are, without a doubt, worthy of all the light in the world.]

With that, a 'thank you' and an 'I love you' to my friends, former partners and chosen family who remind me of what love is, and what it can be:

How I adore, enjoy, aspire to, and savor the eccentric, creative castles of love that we build together.  Everyday.  They will always illuminate the path that feeds me, and continually lead me through such incredible worlds that 'do not yet exist' according to most.

Such gorgeous scissors and brushes and songs that we create with, and such light that spills out from a love that seeks to share and connect:

May we continue to play and love and learn to our heart's content.  We are all in this together, and there are so many more worlds left to be imagined and enacted --      and must be.






Until soon,


--k.


************************

(Regular-people quote worthy story of the day)

A group of five high-school aged guys are standing around talking shit.  One of them starts showing the other guys his phone and talking about how he's taken to looking up pictures of girls in yoga pants. I take note of this and wonder why I didn't think of it first.

Suddenly one of them, the biggest, toughest looking of the lot says (scandalized and slightly pissed), "Yeah, man. You know Jake? He told me he wears yoga pants because he says they're fucking comfortable." His eyebrows raise; his eyes widen.

There is a pregnant pause.

The five guys glance quickly back and forth at each other like anxious dogs- their mouths slightly open. Expressions of "who is going to correct this?!" across their faces.

Finally, the "coolest" looking of the five- blonde hair, blue eyes, slightly Justin Beiber-esque haircut with diamond earrings and a sideways, crisp looking baseball hat- steps forward and says,

"For one: What's he doin' putting yoga pants on?

And for two: What's he doing with his life??"


****

(photo credit: still from The Balcony)

*= Partial lyrics to Ache

No comments:

Post a Comment