Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Watching the Water: An Exercise in Self Discipline

I've been reading a lot for school but keeping it balanced with reading things not for school because, well, school.   It's strange sometimes how a book I pick up or an article I read (in either context) can - by chance- salve exactly something that I need.  It's more often than not that I find the salve that I need through ideas and words of other people.

I'm in the midst of designing a project I am both excited and intimidated by.  This is usually the best combination.

Something I have noticed lately is that people are incredibly supportive of me getting this degree in a way I wasn't expecting. They are people I barely know, but who I have wanted to know because I admire them as community leaders.  What I am learning is that with this topic and with this level of study, there is a reason for others in the community to be invested in me (and others) getting a degree of this sort that I was not aware of.  It is surprising, welcome, and a total humbling honor.  I am earnest to see how it unfolds.

More soon,

k.

(image: via xpn tumblr)

Tonight I'm going to leave you with these concise and on point guidelines for white people getting feedback on racism that I read, recently: 

1. How, where and when you give me feedback is irrelevant-- it is the feedback I want and need. Understanding that it is hard to give, I will take it any way I can get it. From my position of social, cultural, and institutional white power and privilege, I am perfectly sae and I can handle it. If I cannot handle it, it's on me to build my racial stamina.

2. Thank you. 

The above guidelines rest on the understanding that there is no face to save and the game is up; I know that I have blind spots and unconscious investments in racism.  My investments are reinforced everyday in mainstream society. I did not set this system up, but it does unfairly benefit me, I do use it to my advantage, and I am responsible for interrupting it. I need to work hard to change my role in this system, but I can't do it alone. This understanding leads me to gratitude when others help me.
   
                                    ---Robin DiAngelo, from, White Fragility (2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment