Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Spirits Around My Bed

I'm in love with the linguistics class I am taking. The professor makes jokes in her dry tone of voice about linguistics and no one laughs except me. It really is hilarious.

For example, yesterday, all during lecture she had been emphasizing that allomorphy is rampant and that it was important we keep an eye out for it. At the end of lecture, as students were packing up their things, she announced "Okay, that is all for today.  Have a great rest of your afternoon and look out for allomorphy." 

It was hysterical.

No one else was laughing.

(pause)

As a perfect compliment to linguistics this evening, I attended a workshop that's been part of a series conducted in the language that I interpret.  It's fun to get more specialized vocabulary, and incredible to see how language changes along with society and attitudes. It's pretty rad. And nerdy.

While there, I ran into a fellow interpreter whom I adore as much as I look up to who has been in the process of having the diary of her grandmother translated from Italian.  The stories she shared were absolutely fascinating. Stranger than fiction, indeed. Tales of a governess-to-be and a love affair with a linguist. I want a diary like this. Some strange archived memoir from a distant relative to decode and decipher.  I'll have to make a mental note to grill my mother on such things when I see her next. To dig through boxes and folders and photo albums next I go home.

(pause)

All in all, things are settling in.  I am in my new home. Nesting. Dreaming. Growing.

The memorial trip this past weekend was exactly what I needed to honor, to laugh, to cry- to see what is important. To not waste time on spectacles that are created outside of what love is- on any level: personal, societal, mundial. (Okay, yeah, I'm switching languages. But I'm on this kick with language and it just seemed to fit so much better with that -al pattern going on...) On our adventures, I also found an old, brownish-yellow brass candle lantern. It casts an incredible pattern around my room at night. Slices of warm light through the darkness. I feel reminded.  I feel watched over.

It is as beautiful as it is peaceful, tonight.

(pause)

That's all for now.

Be honest. Be loving. Be proud of what you are doing, and what you offer the world and those in your life while you are here.


-k.

(photo: via bluesonplanetmars tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment