Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Puppies and Wolves: The Art of Roughhousing Without Accidental Homicide


A few weeks ago, I was in the passenger seat of a car at a red light making out with the driver. As we kissed, I could feel nervous glances being stolen towards the traffic light. Lips touching but worried. Red became green and the car rolled seamlessly forward.

A few days ago, I was in the passenger seat of another car at a red light making out with a different driver.  This time, there was no concern for the light, or for the traffic behind us. When I opened my eyes, green shown, and the taillights of the car in front of us was roughly a block away.

I've been thinking a lot about desire and class and inhibitions or lack there of.

(pause)

The past few months have been good.
Growing.
Pushing me to do what is right and what feels good in the way that happens when you invest.
Sweat.
Tear muscles.
Build things.
Lean toward tender over any other pseudo-emotion that is more or less just being a dick.
That kind of thing.

Today I'll leave you with this quote from an everyday person. Because it's what matters, and what has changed me, in that way that everyday interactions and eavesdroppings tend to.



"I've been through some things. But I stay positive because I don't give a fuck."
- lady I was eavesdropping on at a cafe eight days ago




k.

 (image from: Blackmilk Tumblr)
***********
A few nights ago, I went to see Afsaneh Najmabadi speak about transexuality and same-sex desire in contemporary Iran.  It was academic as all get out, yet she made it accessible, humorous, and relevant.  You should check her out if you haven't. You can read about the book she was talking about, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment